Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
AmeriCorps 4H Summer Camp Naturalist
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Thursday, March 31, 2022, 5:00pm
Website:Summer Camp Naturalist
This position provides programming for Des Moines County Conservation's summer camps.
Host Site: Starr’s Cave Nature Center
Location: Burlington, Iowa
Term Length: Complete 300-450 hours of work over a 3-month period starting in May 2022 through August 2022 (dates are flexible to an extent).
Start Date: May 2022
End Date: August 2022 (Can be flexible)
Living Allowance: AmeriCorps Monthly Stipend plus educational stipend at end of service. On-site, shared housing is available for this position. Details will be covered in interview if applicable.
The individual in this position is an employee of AmeriCorps 4H that will perform duties for Des Moines County Conservation (DMCC), as set out in this document, under the direct supervision of the Environmental Education Coordinator. The individual plans, develops, and presents environmental education, interpretation, conservation education, and outdoor recreation programs for youth summer camps, youth groups, and the public.
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS, & SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Experience/Education: High School diploma or its equivalent. College coursework, college degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent experience preferred.
- Experience in public speaking
- Current First Aid and CPR certification (or willingness to obtain)
- A valid driver’s license
- Must be 18 or older
- A willingness to work weekends, evenings, holidays, and irregular hours
- A willingness to wear designated uniform attire
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES and DUTIES:
- Plan, develop, and safely lead 10 environmental education summer camp programs for ages 3-15
- Develop 1 outreach activity to stimulate public interest in the use of DMCC’s parks
- Run operations and programs for Starr’s Cave Nature Center (all nature center staff participate in operation and management activities)
- Attend appropriate training sessions as assigned by the Environmental Education Coordinator and AmeriCorps 4-H
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, and SKILLS
- Knowledge of natural and cultural history and recreation:
- Basic field identification and natural history of local flora and fauna
- Ability to comprehend, analyze, interpret, and explain conservation laws, principles, and practices
Program Development and Educational Skills
- Ability to plan and evaluate programs appropriate for the developmental ability and needs of the audience
- Ability to write program goals and objectives with supervision from EE Coordinator
- Ability to communicate orally and effectively to groups and individuals in both formal and non-formal situations in one or more of the following areas: indoor and outdoor presentations, campfires, trailside talks, public meetings, and storytelling
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing to people with a variety of ages and educational abilities
- Team player
- Sense of humor
- Takes Initiative
- Willingness to learn
- Ability to work within a budget
- Sincere love of the outdoors and desire to communicate it to the public, especially children
WORK SCHEDULE, COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
The employment period is based on number of hours required by AmeriCorps 4H needing completion by August 2022. Specific starting and ending dates somewhat flexible, depending on schedule of applicant. No expectation of employment beyond that specified. Normal workweek is Monday through Friday 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM, however regular evening and weekend hours are required. Complete 300-450 hours of work over a 3-month period starting in May 2022 through August 2022 (Can be extended to November 30, 2022, if necessary).
On-site, shared housing is available for this position. Details will be covered in interview if applicable.
More Information: http://www.dmcounty.com/Jobs
How to Apply:
Submit a resume, cover letter and three references to:
Environmental Education Coordinator
Des Moines County Conservation
11627 Starr’s Cave Rd.
Burlington, IA 52601
AmeriCorps Monthly Stipend plus educational stipend at end of service. On-site, shared housing is available for this position. Details will be covered in interview if applicable.