Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Engaging as a key team member, the Assistant Director (AD) brings a high level of positive energy while providing effective leadership for daily operations at the Manice Education Center. Responsibilities include assisting the Director with staff trainings and empowering and supporting 12-15 outdoor educators to deliver effective hands-on activities in environmental education, leadership, and wilderness exploration. The AD creates and organizes various program schedules, helps to write and implement educational activities, as well as plans for Center wide activities and events. The AD supports safe programming through daily on-site program supervision and on-call responsibilities, including supervising waterfront activities and managing the infirmary as necessary. Other duties include evaluating staff and facility needs, leading and assisting in day to day care of gardens, preparing supply requisitions, and transporting program participants and staff in Center vehicles.
MEC annually serves approximately 850 youth with an array of residential programs focusing on environmental education, leadership training, and wilderness expeditions ranging from 3-day field trips for NYC schools to 1-3 week summer camping programs.
We are seeking candidates who:
- Have at least 2 years of prior program leadership experience in environmental education, outdoor leadership, and expedition based youth programs.
- Have high energy and outstanding prior performance as a leader with positive and effective communication skills.
- Are passionate about positively impacting youth and can easily build rapport with a broad and diverse population from low-income neighborhoods in New York City.
- Are able to easily spark an interest in the natural sciences and possess at least 2 – 3 years of experience teaching environmental education lessons/activities in informal or formal settings to middle school and high school aged youth.
- Have demonstrated success in coordinating schedules and activities.
- Have prior experience facilitating challenge course activities, leading backpacking & canoeing trips, and are able to provide field support as necessary.
- Are experienced in making effective leadership decisions during emergency procedures, and can perform as Acting Director during the evenings and as needed.
- Are interested in becoming an integral part of the Christodora community for a at least 2-3 seasons.
- Excellent motivational, organizational, and communication skills; BA/BS in a related discipline.
- At least 2 years of supervisory level experience in a residential camp or relevant similar setting (or ability to attain American Camping Association Camp Director Certificate prior to April 2017).
- Wilderness First Responder and CPR/AED Certifications that will be current for the April – Oct. 2017 Season
- Lifeguarding Certification (or ability to attain during June 2017 Trainings at MEC).
- Local regulations require candidates to be at least 25 year old.
- Current Driver’s License and a Safe Driving Record. Must be comfortable driving 15 passenger vans and towing a canoe trailer and small equipment trailer.
- Background clearances and medical physical.
The Manice Education Center is a residential program and requires the Assistant Director to live on-site in a personal apartment from April through October. Off-site time includes most weekends in the spring and fall, 2-3 day breaks between programs in the summer, and a week of paid time off between August and September. The Assistant Director generally performs active duties in the afternoons and evenings.
Christodora may have year round employment opportunities for candidates who would enjoy living in New York City from November through March, helping to facilitate success for ecology based, environmental education in schools. If interested in continuing with Christodora from November through March between seasons at the Manice Education Center, please detail your qualifications for teaching inside NYC classrooms and/or providing educational leadership to environmental educators transferring from the Manice Education Center to teach inside our partner schools during the winter.
Salary/Benefits: Competitive weekly salary D.O.E.; room and board; equipment discounts.
Position Start Date:
Monday, April 3, 2017
How to Apply:
Please send a detailed cover letter and a resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Assistant Director” in the title. Feel free to include outdoor leadership and/or education portfolios. Christodora is committed to making a difference within a culturally diverse educational environment. Applicants are requested to include in their cover letter information about how they will further this goal. Three professional references will be required.
Christodora is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Competitive weekly salary. Negotiable based on experience. Housing provided.