Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Camp Sailing Instructor
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Length of Employment and Scheduling Details:
Seasonal, 40 hours per week for nine weeks from June 12, 2017 to August 18, 2017. Sailing Instructor must be available for ALL dates the camp is in operation. Employment with the New Haven Land Trust will end after August 18, 2017
Competitive rate based on experience
Camp Director and Waterfront Director of the Schooner Camp
Essential Job Functions:
- To ensure that above all else campers are safe and well supervised while on the waterfront.
- To oversee and instruct all sailing lessons.
- Promote safety and security procedures.
- Maintenance and cleanliness of all waterfront equipment and areas.
- Work with another Sailing Instructor and Junior Counselor to oversee and instruct a group of 12 campers ages 8-12 years old in sailing instructions.
- Maintain safe boating program in adherence with standards set by the state of Connecticut and American Red Cross.
- Ensure the safety and well-being of all campers and staff while on the waterfront
- Work as a team with other Counselors, Waterfront Director, and Camp Director to lead and ensure the effective execution of daily camp activities, free time, meals and other camp-related activities.
- Participate in pre-camp training
- Abide by and ensure others adhere to camp policies and procedures.
- Serve as a positive role model.
- Ensure a high level of standards in all activities, themes, and specialty programs.
- Provide one-on-one counseling to campers as needed, within sight of other campers or staff.
- Motivate campers and ensure mutual support and group-building throughout the camp experience.
- Promote character development through the camp program.
- Assist with behavioral needs of campers.
- Assist with an organized and efficient check-in and check-out to help campers transition to and from camp.
- Help organize daily snack and provide for the safe handling of all camper-provided meals.
- Participate in any necessary pre-camp and post-camp interactions and communication with parents and campers.
- Communicate regularly with Camp Director or when necessary the Executive Director of the New Haven Land Trust on all relevant camp matters.
It should be understood that this Job Description has been developed as an outline for basic responsibility. Additional duties may be assigned by the Camp Director or the Executive Director of the New Haven Land Trust from time to time as deemed appropriate and/or necessary.
- Must be age 20 or older.
- Must have previous experience in sailing instruction.
- Must be certified in one of the prescribed levels of American Red Cross (A.R.C.) or American Heart Association C.P.R and First Aid.
- Must have a CT state boating license (may acquire after hire)
- Demonstrated level of maturity and ability to handle all aspects of job description and potential issues associated with the summer camp.
- Demonstrated ability or strong interest in leading and motivating young people.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in working with youth and people of all ages.
- Positive attitude and approach to working with youth in ways that convey a deep understanding of their development needs.
- Ability to interact with adults in a positive and professional manner.
- Ability to be creative and flexible.
- Successful completion of the required background checks and any related training required by camp.
- Must be ready to get dirty and have fun with campers for the duration of the time they are at camp
- Ability to visibly observe children.
- Ability to stand for an extended period of time.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs and transport equipment from one location to another.
- Ability to hear distress signals even when distracted by noise and activity.
- Ability to work in a variety of environments, specifically those with extreme heat and humidity.
- Physically and mentally able to respond to emergencies and administer CPR and First Aid effectively.
How to Apply:
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume as soon as possible to email@example.com. Interviews are ongoing until position is filled. Please include “Sailing Instructor” in the subject line. Applications are accepted until positions are full. Interviews begin in February 2017.New Haven Land Trust is an "equal opportunity employer." New Haven Land Trust will not discriminate in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender expression, or sexual orientation.