Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Community Relations Program Assistant (seasonal)
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Sunday, April 16, 2017, 12:00am
Immediate Openings! Apply Today! Starting pay $12.50 per hour. The Community Relations Program Assistant (seasonal) contributes to the success of the Chicago Zoological Society by performing duties that support an important rung of the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (“STEM”) Ladder program, which creates opportunities to inspire conservation leadership in diverse youth.
The Community Relations Program Assistant Provides high quality family programming in under-resourced communities across the Chicago area to further the society’s mission of inspiring conservation leadership.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides high quality family programming in under-resourced communities across the Chicago area to help influence children in the communities to follow their passion into conservation leadership.
- Develops program curriculum, prepares materials, delivers programming, and supervises families on field trips and conservation action days.
- Assists with other STEM Ladder and community outreach programs at the zoo and off-site. Provides guided walking tours to community groups including County Commissioners and other elected officials as well as CZS Trustees.
- As needed provides supervision and guidance for King Conservation Science Scholars on-site at the zoo and on field trips and assists in enforcement of program rules. Helps to maintain the quality of King Conservation Science Scholars interpretation.
- Assists in office functions, including, but not limited to mailings, bookkeeping, filing, data entry.
- Other related duties as assigned.
The requirements for this position include the following:
- High School diploma or equivalent (GED) required.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Ability to work independently without close supervision required.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively with youth from diverse backgrounds required.
- Must be comfortable with public speaking.
- Incumbents must have the ability to work non-standard hours such as weekends and holidays.
- A valid driver’s license is required on date of hire. If an Illinois resident, must possess a valid Illinois driver’s license at the time of hire or must obtain one within 90 days of hire. A valid out-of-state driver’s license is required at time of hire for out-of-state residents.
The preferred qualifications:
- One year within the Chicago Zoological Society King Conservation Science Scholars program or one year experience in a volunteer or youth leadership program desired.
- Experience or interest in a career in Social Services or Education desirable.
- Multilingual ability, Spanish, Polish, Arabic or Sign Language fluency a plus.
This seasonal position requires an energetic team player who is able to both provide direction to and mentorship for diverse youth from birth to pre-teen. This seasonal position requires the incumbent to work events inside and outside of the Zoo during a variety of hours. Due to the nature of these events, the job requires weekend work. Hours generally range from 10 to 35 hours a week, depending on the amount and duration of the events in which the Society participates. Historically, the peak season for the Community Relations Outreach Programs is from May through September, with scattered events throughout the year. Must work weekends and holidays from January to December. Incumbent must be reliable and dependable. Community Relations Program Assistants must coordinate their own transportation in the event a Society vehicle is not available. Mileage on personal vehicles will be reimbursed. Offsite outreach functions typically take place in Chicago area communities such as Cicero, Fuller Park, West Belmont and Pilsen. The required uniform for Community Relations Program Assistants is khaki (tan) pants to be provided by the employee, and a Society-issued uniform shirt. Additional uniform shirts and approved apparel are available for purchase, if desired.
Much of the time for this position is spent off-site conducting outreach activities in the Chicago metropolitan area. Bilingual in Spanish, Polish, Arabic or Sign Language a plus.
How to Apply:
This requisition is for multiple immediate openings. Please continue to visit our website at czs.org/careers for similar and other opportunities.
The Chicago Zoological Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer – Minorities / Women / Veterans / Disabled.
If interested in being considered for this opportunity, please visit the CZS Career Center to obtain more details about the position and to apply by submitting your profile. Please visit our website at www.czs.org/careers. Please look for requisition number 1324BR