Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Supervised by the Head Chef, this position works closely with many Institute staff, partners and contractors to support a wide array of educational programs. This includes the Foodshed Project, the Institute’s initiative to incorporate local, organic products in the operation of the Learning Center.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of the North Cascades Institute.
- Enthusiasm for and experience with “Foodshed” principals and the “Slow Food” movement.
- One year or more Professional food service experience
- Ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks with exemplary time management and problem-solving skills
- Ability to give and receive direction in a way that models respect
- Ability to comply with a smoke- and drug-free work environment
- Ability to lift 50 pounds occasionally and walk over uneven terrain
- Washington State food handler’s permit
- Valid driver’s license and driving record check must have no more than one moving violation in the past three years, no DUI, reckless driving, or serious moving violations.
- Final offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check that may include employment history, national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and a driving history check.
- Previous food service experience at other residential learning centers, camps, schools or similar facilities
- Professional food service experience in an institutional setting, preparing diverse, health-conscious meals for children and adult groups, including foods that incorporate fresh, local and/or organic ingredients
- Experience assisting with inventory and ordering tasks
FOOD SERVICE AND PREPARATION
- Prepares food on a daily basis for meals typically served buffet-style.
- Assists the Chef in creating age-appropriate menus for NCI’s summer programming (families, tour groups, adult seminars, etc.), using recipes for consistency, cost control and appealing servings avoiding unnecessary waste.
- Other duties as assigned by the Head Chef or Facilities Manager.
MAINTENANCE AND CLEANLINESS
- Maintains exemplary standards of cleanliness in the dining hall, kitchen and walk-in.
- Assists in ware-washing program and hospitality.
- Actively participates in recycling program, composting, use of green materials and local products as related to food service.
- Participates in general staff responsibilities such as staff meetings, hands to work, and risk management.
- Participates in strategic planning, annual picnic, and other duties as assigned by the Learning Center Director.
This is a seasonal/temporary, full-time non-exempt position, from early-April through mid-November. Wages are $12.00 to $15.00 per hour, DOE. Benefits include sick leave and holiday pay.
Position will remain open until filled.
Early April 2017
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority at North Cascades Institute. The Institute does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, military, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, age, citizenship or any other basis prohibited by law in any of its policies or programs. North Cascades Institute is committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates. North Cascades Institute is committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates.
ABOUT NORTH CASCADES INSTITUTE:
Since 1986 we have helped connect people, nature and community through science, art, literature and the hands-on study of natural and cultural history. Our goal is to help people of all ages and backgrounds experience and enjoy the mountains, rivers, forests, people and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest – so all will care for and protect this special place. The Institute is committed to innovation and excellence in environmental learning and leadership in the nonprofit community. We believe that sustainable communities are built on healthy environments, vibrant economies and social equity.
North Cascades Institute, www.ncascades.org, is a respected, national leader among U.S. environmental education organizations. The Institute is in sound financial health with a $3 million budget and strong reserves, and 11 Four-star ratings with Charity Navigator. The Institute was also voted “Best Place to Work” in the 2013 Bellingham Alive – Best in the Northwest annual readers’ poll. This is a wonderful opportunity to join North Cascades Institute at a time of exciting growth.
How to Apply:
Please apply online on our website: http://ncascades.atsondemand.com/
Complete the online application and upload a resume and a cover letter pertinent to this position.