Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Education Coordinator VISTA
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, June 12, 2017, 12:45am
Website:Truckee Meadows Parks Foundation
Education Coordinator VISTA
Truckee Meadows Parks Foundation (TMPF)
The Education Coordinator VISTA will serve primarily to build and enhance the Student Stewards Program, which uses public parks as learning laboratories where students engage in hands-on citizen science.
The Education Coordinator VISTA will be an essential member of the team for this young non-profit organization. This person will primarily serve to expand the Student Stewards program. The Student Stewards Program uses public parks within walking distance of under-served schools as learning laboratories. Students engage in hands-on citizen science research with a goal of improved academic engagement and better preparation for educational success. This will include maintaining relationships with Washoe County schools administration and teachers, developing and fine-tuning curriculum, and training teachers and volunteers through workshops and training days. This VISTA will expand the summer camp from eight-weeks to ten, and will develop curriculum for school break camps. The VISTA will also expand and maintain other TMPF programs, including the Junior Naturalist program.
The mission of Truckee Meadows Parks Foundation (TMPF) is to support the parks departments operating in Truckee Meadows, including Reno, Sparks, and Washoe County parks. We do this primarily by providing in-park programming and opportunities for citizen engagement. TMPF is an independent, nonprofit organization that began operating in 2013. Our current programs focus on improving community health and wellness and developing people’s appreciation for the natural and cultural history found in local parks.
Service Location: Reno, NV
Timeline for Service: August 14, 2017 - August 13, 2018
- Continue to develop the Student Stewards citizen science curriculum to align with Next Generation Science and Common Core Standards;
- Maintain partnerships with school administrators and teachers;
- Spearhead the implementation of school break camps for the fall and spring;
- Train volunteers to teach and implement the Student Stewards Program;
- Develop teacher training workshops based on the Student Stewards Program;
- Expand and continue to develop curriculum for a ten-week science-based summer day camp;
- Continue to develop, maintain, and expand the Junior Naturalists program.
- Passionate commitment to TMPF’s mission and vision;
- Bachelor’s degree in education, science, or a related field;
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment;
- Exceptional writing skills;
- Strong communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- High degree of initiative and spirit of service;
- Experience working with students, teachers, and volunteers;
- Preferred: strong understanding of education standards and experience in curriculum development;
- Preferred: experience teaching in formal or informal settings;
- Preferred: experience working at or managing summer camp programs;
- Preferred: reading, writing, and speaking competency in Spanish language.
Truckee Meadows Parks Foundation’s Education Coordinator VISTA position is funded by the Corporations for National and Community Service and will serve within the AmeriCorps VISTA program. AmeriCorps VISTA is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty. Each VISTA member makes a year-long, full-time commitment to serve on a specific project at a nonprofit organization or public agency. To learn more about the AmeriCorps programs visit americorps.gov.
In cooperation with our partners, Truckee Meadows Parks Foundation is working to create new and innovative park-based programs that improve stewardship of our public lands. The Student Stewards Program fulfills this goal by providing disadvantaged students with an engaging, hands-on program designed to increase interest in science and improve academic performance. The Program Coordinator will develop relationships with participating schools, write standards-based curriculum, train stakeholders, and implement the program.
Position Start Date:
Monday, August 14, 2017
How to Apply:
In return for their service, AmeriCorps VISTA members receive a modest living allowance of $980/month, health benefits during their service, and have the option of receiving a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,730.00 or post-service stipend of $1,500.00 after completing their service. A relocation travel allowance of no less than $550 may also apply if they are moving.