Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, July 15, 2022, 5:00pm
The Solid Waste Authority of Central Ohio (SWACO) is seeking an environmental educator who is passionate about waste diversion, recycling and enjoys working with kids and speaking publicly. The Education Specialist will lead tours of the landfill for school groups and the public and will also provide recycling presentations and outreach at public events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and present engaging presentations to diverse audiences that focus on rethinking, reducing, reusing and recycling waste, operation of the SWACO landfill, and other relevant topics related to SWACO’s mission and initiatives.
- Promote and manage the landfill tour program, including the development of a promotional strategy; prompt response to phone and emails from educators and organization members interested in scheduling site visits; and prompt follow-up as needed after tours are complete.
- Schedule and conduct facility tours of the landfill for visiting groups, understanding weather conditions and landfill work activities to ensure visitors safety, including regular coordination with landfill personnel for the arrival of tour groups and other guests.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of SWACO’s sanitary landfill activities (e.g. waste tons accepted per day, current gate rate, methods used in landfill construction, etc.), SWACO’s waste diversion programs and initiatives, and SWACO’s educational resources;
- Develop waste reduction and diversion-oriented presentations for use in schools, summer camps, and other similar environments.
- Assist with general SWACO outreach and education, including tabling events, citizen engagement, and similar activities, as needed.