Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Environmental Educator and Birthday Party Coordinator
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Tuesday, May 30, 2017, 4:00pm
- Demonstrated strength in delivering Environmental Education programs for grades pre-K through 8th grade
- Minimum of a BA/BS in environmental science, biology, or environmental education preferred.
- At least 3 years of environmental education experience
- Must be comfortable handling a variety of small animals and several birds of prey
- Must pass mandatory state and national level CORI and SORI background checks
- Clean driving history
- Sense of humor, flexibility, and creative “think outside the box” solution based mindset required
- Strong self-initiative and self-management, plus ability to work both in a team setting and solo a must
- Must be able to run logistical support for programming including pre-program client calls, supply ordering and inventory, and program evaluation.
- Able to plan effectively and be proactive with position duties
- Current CPR, First Aid, Canoe Certifications, Lifeguarding/WFA/WFR Certifications a plus
The Nature Center’s regular operating hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Saturday. The schedule for this position is Tuesday through Saturday with working hours that will go outside of operating hours as program needs warrant.
The Environmental Educator and Birthday Party Coordinator with the New Canaan Nature Center will report to the Director of Education Programs. Job responsibilities are:
Environmental Educator / Naturalist duties (approximately 60% of time)
- Teach and lead NCNC programs on a wide variety of natural science topics both on and off site, including programs that require travel to/from New York City metro area and special events throughout the school year.
- Work with summer camp programming with preschool to middle school age children.
- Working with Director of Education Programs, to develop new and innovative education programs and activities for public and groups.
- Teach, lead and coordinate Center programs on a wide variety of natural science topics both on and off site as well as special events throughout the school year
- Act as lead environmental educators for our summer camp program involving teaching groups, leading new summer staff and coordinating curriculum for the summer program
- Support the engaged visitor experience of Nature Center through informal education and public relations as well as upkeep of Visitor Center displays, activities and exhibits
- Assist with the support and training of Center intern(s) and volunteers
- Assist with maintenance of interpretive exhibits, education facilities and trails
- Assume lead on education related projects throughout the year
- As Education Team member, need to assist with the care of live animals and the cleaning and maintenance of the animal care facility as scheduled by the Animal Care Manager
Program Coordinator duties (approximately 25% of time)
- Prepare, teach and lead NCNC Nature Adventure Birthday Parties on a variety of themes.
- Coordination of birthdays and other program area logistics; includes pre-program client calls, supply ordering and inventory, program evaluation.
- Working both on own and in collaboration with Director of Education Programs and other education staff, create new and engaging Birthday programs that keep this area of programming fresh and exciting for public
- Maintain current booking levels of parties and establishing realistic goals for increasing number yearly. Also creating realistic goals of filling Saturday slots and expanding into Weekday slots.
- Working with the Director of Education Programming to ensure that programs are being coordinated effectively with customer care being impeccable and NCNC policies being adhered to.
- Improve upon and develop useful evaluation tools for Birthday program feedback
- Cultivate relationships with former Birthday families to have increase in returns as well as referrals.
- Train part time and volunteers educators for future delivery of Birthday Parties
- Ensure that all supplies are kept in stock ahead of time, purchased at reasonable price, sustainable whenever possible and constantly updated.
Other NCNC duties (approximately 15% of time)
- Animal care – Assist with the care of live animals and the cleaning and maintenance of the animal care facility as scheduled by the Animal Care Manager and/or Director of Education Programs.
- Special events and Public Program Events – Work with the Education team and special events coordinators to support special events such as Cider Saturday, Winter Wonderland, Night Hikes, Fall Fair, Harvest Fest, etc.
- Attend all staff meetings and other pertinent staff meetings for both education department and organization as a whole.
- Be a contributing team member to the betterment of the New Canaan Nature Center through all aspects of the organization.
Start date: June 2017
How to Apply:
Email cover letter, resume, and the names & contact information of 2 references to Director of Education Programs, Chris Hendershot, at email@example.com.
Salary is commensurate with experience for this full-time position. Performance will be reviewed periodically and in accordance with the NCNC fiscal budget to determine any potential increase in pay. Payroll is paid according to our normal payroll practices. Employees get paid twice a month, which is typically the 15th and 31st of each month.
Benefits and paid time-off:
As a full time employee, this position is eligible to participate in NCNC’s group medical, dental, vision, life insurance and disability insurance plans as well as the Flexible Spending Plan and a Simple IRA Retirement Plan. Additionally, this position receives paid time off for vacation, personal and sick days.
(203) 966-9577 x41