Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Environmental Educator - PT
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, August 15, 2016, 8:00pm
Friends of the National Zoo (FONZ) is seeking an experienced, creative teacher to instruct homeschool programming at the Smithsonian’s National Zoo. This educator will be responsible for joining a team that plans and facilitates homeschool programming for 5-9 and 8-13.
The educator must be available to teach two classes per week throughout the 2016-2017 academic year from September to June. This is a part-time, contract staff position.
- College degree. (Background in education, environmental science, and/or wildlife topics preferred.)
- Experience teaching elementary-school children.
- Creative lesson-planning skills.
- Knowledge of natural sciences and a love and appreciation for wildlife and conservation.
- First Aid/CPR/AED Certification is desirable.
Abilities and Skills:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong curriculum and lesson development skills.
- Ability to facilitate individual and group engagement in discussions and activities.
- Ability to supervise children effectively.
- Organizational skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Team player.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead 2 hour education programs.
- Develop creative lesson plans and submit for review at least one week prior to class start date.
- Work with a team-mate to develop plans and facilitate lessons.
- Provide hands-on, educational experiences utilizing Zoo resources and artifacts.
- Lead Zoo Walks and facilitate participant engagement with exhibits.
- Supervise students in classroom and on Zoo Walks.
- Acquire and maintain working knowledge of Zoo animal facts and exhibit information.
- Prepare all materials and set up classroom before each class.
- Keep all classrooms neat and organized.
- Other duties as assigned.
How to Apply:
To apply, submit the following to Emily Porter (PorterEm@si.edu) by August 15, 2016.
- Cover letter
- Contact information for at least two professional references