Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Environmental Educator Summer Site Lead
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Wednesday, June 1, 2022, 6:00pm
CitySprouts Summer Site Lead Location: Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts
Dates: July 5th (Tues) - August 16th (Tues) Hours: This position is 40 hours/week, Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm Compensation: $20-22.00/40hrs/wk, pay based on experience with a $700 bonus at the completion of the 6 weeks Reporting to: Program Director
The CitySprouts mission is to cultivate curiosity and wonder for all children with hands-on science learning through urban gardening. Since 2001, CitySprouts has been partnering with public elementary and middle schools in Boston and Cambridge to open the door to hands-on science education through the schoolyard learning garden.
The Young Leaders Program includes a 5-week summer program based in a school garden in either Cambridge and Boston. Each of the 6 summer program sites has a cohort of 15 youth. Through hands-on activities and getting outside, youth will explore nature, participate in STEM activities, and build a sense of community. The application prioritizes young people 11-14 years old (rising 6th graders through 8th graders) who are historically marginalized, economically disadvantaged, and or youth of color who do not normally have this opportunity.
The program is free to all participants. Upon completion of the program, each youth participant will earn a $100 stipend for helping to take care of the school garden.
The summer site leader is a seasonal full-time 6 week position beginning June 27th and ending August 5th, 2022 (dates may vary). The program will run from July 5th-August 5th, 9am-2pm Monday-Friday. The Summer program leader will be responsible for a cohort of approximately 15 youth with support from college interns (Summer Fellows). This position reports to the Program Director and Summer Program Manager.
● Serve as team leader at one summer program site (supervising 15 youth ages 11-14)
● Mentor a college intern during the summer program
● Create a trusting environment for young people to build community together
● Communicate with all program families to provide regular updates on their child's program experience
● Oversee the team in maintaining the program site garden
● Attend weekly staff meetings Qualifications
● 2-4 years of experience in youth programming
● Proven capacity to work in a multicultural workforce, including sensitivity and competency in working with individuals and groups of diverse cultural, lingual, socioeconomic, and lifestyle backgrounds
● Strong interpersonal skills including excellent listening, public speaking, oral and written communications skills
● Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for the CitySprouts mission
● Working knowledge of sustainable gardening practices; experience managing a garden preferred
● Ability to do physical work outside
● Fluency in Spanish or other language in addition to English strongly preferred
● Reliable access to a car is strongly preferred
Compensation is $20-22.00 an hour based on experience with a $700 bonus at the completion of the 6 weeks. The position does not include benefits besides accrued paid sick time outlined in the state sick leave policy. Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to Solomon Montagno at firstname.lastname@example.org 3/24/22
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to Solomon Montagno at email@example.com