Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Montana State Parks AmeriCorps Members
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, April 28, 2017, 7:00pm
Our AmeriCorps members are individuals looking to gain experience and training working in the fields of outdoor recreation, parks management, interpretive services, education, community outreach, and volunteer management. This opportunity will take place amid the natural wonders and rich cultural heritage of Montana State Parks and these members will complete projects that have lasting impacts which benefit both the parks and the communities where they exist. Whether they are teaching kids about nature or history, or organizing a group of volunteers for a tree planting project; our members lead the way in our communities by exhibiting stewardship principles and a strong conservation ethic through hands on engagement.
Individuals serving with our program will complete 675 hours (4 months) to 900 hours (5 months), and will receive biweekly living allowance and a Segal Education Award of $2,200.00 (675 hours) to $2887.50 (900 hours) upon successful completion of a term of service. The Segal Education Award can be used towards college tuition, paying off student loans, or for Members who are 55 years or older can transfer the Education Award to a child, grandchild or foster child. All Montana State Parks AmeriCorps members will receive a modest living allowance and are also eligible to place their student loans in deferment during the term of service.
Members beginning in April will also receive valuable trainings such as a Certified Interpretive Guide certification; and all members are eligible to be trained in Heart-saver First Aid/CPR/AED; Volunteer Management in Montana State Parks; Traditional (Native) Games Training. Members will also receive specific trainings based on the site needs that may include trail skills, weed pesticide application, and GIS/GPS inventory techniques, and many other site or program specific training.
More information about our program and specific position descriptions can be found at our webiste: http://stateparks.mt.gov/americorps/
To qualify for a service term with Montana State Parks, you must be:
- Over 18 with a high school diploma or GED; college degree or equivalent work experience preferred
- A United States citizen, United States National, or legal permanent resident alien
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Ability to take initiative, handle multiple projects, track details essential to project completion, analyze information, and meet deadlines
- Strong ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with diverse groups of people
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Basic computer proficiency
- Passion for the outdoors and enthusiasm for enhancing Montana’s state parks
- A driver’s license and personal means of transportation within the state of Montana
- Must pass the requirements of the National Service Criminal History Check
How to Apply:
Applications are only accepted through the AmeriCorps portal, located at: https://my.americorps.gov
Find our positions by using the "Search Listings" link in red, and searching by "Program Name" for Montana State Parks.