Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Naturalist at Camp Arroyo
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, February 3, 2017, 12:00am
YMCA East Bay Outdoor School at Camp Arroyo is hiring Naturalists for to begin in mid-February for our Spring 2017 season. Opened in 2001, the education program received a 2005 Governor’s Environmental & Economic Leadership Award for Environmental Education and the camp’s green facilities (featuring a straw bale dining hall) was rated one of AIA’s Top Ten Green Projects of 2002.
Naturalists lead three-, four- and five-day education programs for fourth through sixth graders from around the Bay Area, September through June. Our experiential curriculum focuses on sustainability in the following lesson areas:
- Organic gardening
- Green architecture and renewable energy
- Native Ohlone culture
- Local ecology hike
- Freshwater Ecology
- Three-mile hike with an emphasis on personal accomplishment, watersheds, and geology
- Team building initiatives and the climbing wall
- In-depth elective classes designed by each naturalist
- Challenge course (high and low ropes elements) facilitation for weekend groups
Essential Job Duties:
As a naturalist, you will be responsible for the following each week:
- Teaching the above curriculum to the same group of 14-16 students for the week
- Developing experiential, inquiry-based lesson plans
- Facilitating community-building initiatives with groups
- Orienting participants to program areas, including dining hall and cabins
- Leading two to three meals in dining hall
- Leading one to two structured activities during student recreation time
- Working two evening programs (skit nights, night hike, or dance)
- Assisting with the prep, maintenance, and clean-up of program supplies and areas
- Participating in staff development
- Working occasional weekend programs
- Prefer at least 2 years of experience in environmental education programs, especially residential programs
- At least a four-year degree or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of the above curriculum areas or the passion and follow-through to learn more
- Experience working with a diversity of children from all socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds
- Ability to work flexible work hours
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Positive management skills with children
- Ability to walk up to 5 miles per day
- Musical and acting abilities are a plus! (It is a camp setting, so be prepared to perform in front of large groups of kids!)
- Current First Aid and CPR certification, with AED training
- Previous challenge/ropes course experience preferred
- Lifeguard certification, WFR/EMT certifications, and language skills are desirable
- Flexibility, a positive attitude and a sense of humor are absolutely required!
- $440 per week
- Eligible for medical coverage after short waiting period. It is an employee contribution plan that is heavily subsidized by the YMCA. You may choose to waive these benefits.
- Onsite housing or offsite housing allowance
- Food during programming
- Stipend for development opportunities
- Pro-deal accounts with various outdoor equipment vendors
Position Start Date:
Monday, January 9, 2017
How to Apply:
- Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority at YMCA of the East Bay. Applicants from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Application preferred deadline of February 3, 2017 - applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
- Please send a resume with 3 references and a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
YMCA Camp Arroyo
5535 Arroyo Rd.
Livermore, CA 94550