Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, July 16, 2021, 12:00pm
Website:Nature Based Mentor
Work Week (May vary based on the classes scheduled for):
Monday-Thursdays, hours vary
Starting pay is $21/hr
All programs are entirely outdoors and explore various nature destinations in the mountains, canyons, and beaches of Los Angeles including Topanga/Pacific Palisades, Pasadena/Glendale, Santa Clarita Valley, Culver City/Marina Del Rey, Thousand Oaks.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Experience being the primary lead for groups of children ages 4.5-12 in outdoor environments.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience working with children ages 4.5-12.
- Training, certifications, and experience in early childhood development and education.
- Experience with outdoor/nature-based mentoring
- Knowledge of local terrain, trails, flora, and fauna.
- Familiarity and/or experience with carrying out place-based education, 21st-century skills development, Jon Young's 8 Shield's Institution and Connecting Children to Nature course, ecological literacy, project-based learning, and child-led learning.
- Experience with ancestral and primitive skills.
- Physically fit, able to crouch, dig, climb, hike, and carry up to 1/3rd their body weight.
- Have reliable transportation to and from local nature destinations (public transit does not reach all of our locations)
- A working cell phone.
- Ability to pass criminal records check.
- CPR and Pediatric First Aid Certified (a course is offered to those without).
- Experience with Google Drive (sheets & docs).
- A Facebook account (to post photos of our days with the children in our private FB group).
- Experience communicating with parents/guardians in person and via phone and email.
Qualifications- Candidates must have most of the following attributes:
- Experience working with children ages 4-12 years of age
- Dedicated to the developmentally appropriate practice and aware of the developmental needs of young children.
- Comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Comfortable sitting on the ground, swimming in the ocean and creeks and getting dirty
- Must be able to swim
- Comfortable handling insects and other small creatures
- Interest and willingness to further growth in naturalist studies and mentorship practices
- A nurturing, loving, creative, and positive attitude
- Observant and communicative
- A strong team member
We value mentors who enjoy being positive role models for children, who lead by example with the Earth in mind, and who have a strong desire to engage children with their environment through a hands-on and inquiry-based approach.
EverWild is a nonprofit operating at a grassroots level. Creative, forward-thinking, and motivated individuals will find opportunities to grow and expand their role as they contribute to fulfill our mission and grow our organization.
When and where paid:
The pay period is run every 1st and 15th for the duration of 9 months (September 8th - June 1st). There are opportunities to continue working throughout the summer. Pay is issued by direct deposit.
*We are actively hiring for Summer 2021. We are prioritizing employment for qualified BIPOC and LGBTQ+ leaders.
Mentorship at EverWild includes:
Mentors receive paid training, CalSavers retirement fund, live scan background check, and a Red Cross CPR/First Aid certification.
All considered applicants will go through an interview process including:
-A phone/Zoom interview.
-1-3 unpaid shadow days in nature with children and our Program Director
-Live Scan Fingerprinting
-Annual training in EverWild policies and procedures, early childhood development, ancestral and primitive skills, and wilderness awareness core routines.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are actively prioritizing employment opportunities for qualified BIPOC and LGBTQ leaders.
Position Start Date:
Tuesday, June 22, 2021
How to Apply:
If you meet the Nature-based Mentor requirements and would like to apply, please email a current resume and a brief cover letter in the body of your email to EverWild addressed to the Executive Director, Amanda@everwildla.com. A complete application packet (as mentioned on our website) is not needed at this time. We are actively prioritizing employment opportunities for qualified BIPOC and LGBTQ leaders.
Pay starts at $21/hr.
CalSavers Retirement fund
We are in the process of finalizing the opportunity for mentors to receive partial health insurance benefits.