Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Nature Day Camp Counselor
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, February 14, 2022, 11:45pm
Inspire children to build a lifelong, meaningful relationship with the natural world as you help them to catch frogs at the pond, create a miniature homestead village in the woods or learn how to paddle on a river.
Job Summary: Join a team of creative, energetic professionals who work together to connect children with nature through educational, recreational and cultural experiences. CNC is in search of Nature Day Camp Counselors with a passion for making a difference in the lives of children by providing powerful, dynamic programs in the outdoors. Counselors will teach campers from preschool to 9th grade, including children with special needs. They will facilitate experiences in the areas of field ecology, historic farm life, sensory awareness, wildlife studies and nature crafts. Canoeing, kayaking and overnight camping trips are also included for some programs. Campers attend programs from 9:30 am until 3:30 pm Monday through Friday.
Objective: To develop and implement programming of predetermined camps to support and strengthen campers’ relationships with the natural world.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise campers, ensuring their safety and well-being
- Plan and teach daily lessons following the goals and objectives for each program
- Follow and enforce all camp policies, rules and regulations
- Provide first aid to campers according to camp policy
- Communicate with families regarding camper needs, safety concerns, dietary considerations and camp highlights/experiences
- Supervise and evaluate Counselors-in-Training who are assigned to your group
- Mentor Junior Counselors who are assigned to your group
- Communicate regularly with the Leadership Team
- Participate in pre-camp and on-going trainings
- Other duties as assigned by the Camp Director or Assistant Director
- Experience working with children
- Experience and desire to work in an outdoor setting
- First aid and CPR certifications (or ability to become certified)
- Valid Chauffeur’s License (can be obtained after hire)
- 18 years of age or older by the beginning of the first camp session
- Physically able to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to work varied hours, including some evenings
- Preference will be given to those who have earned or are working toward a degree in outdoor recreation, biology, ecology, environmental education or other related field
- Knowledge of local natural resources (ecology, identification of birds, plants, etc.)
- Camping, canoeing and kayaking skills helpful
Schedule: Paid staff training: May 31-June 7 and July 6-8. Camp sessions run June 8 through August 12, with no camp July 4-5.
Salary & Benefits: Starting salary is $440 per week (11 weeks; $4,840 total) with additional stipends for overnight camps ($60/night in the field), staff uniform, CNC membership, 20% discount in Nature Center Store, 10% discount on program fees
Status: Full time, seasonal
Application Procedure: Send cover letter and resume to Steve Frisbee, Camp Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or 400 S Badour Road, Midland, MI 48640
Application Deadline: February 14, 2022 (Interviews will be held by invitation February 26, 2022)
Overview: CNC is a nonprofit, environmental education organization. Its mission is to connect all people to nature through educational, recreational and cultural experiences. The 1,500-acre property includes woodlands, fields, ponds and rivers. CNC’s facilities consist of a Visitor Center with Ecosystem Gallery, classrooms and Nature Center store; an 1870s Homestead Farm complex; Nature Preschool; an arboretum and 19 miles of nature trails. See www.chippewanaturecenter.org for more information.
Equal Opportunity Employment: CNC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or job applicants on the basis of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, height, weight, handicap or disability, veteran status or any other status or condition protected by applicable state or federal laws.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and resume to Steve Frisbee, Camp Director at email@example.com or 400 S Badour Road, Midland, MI 48640