Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Nature Day Camp Early Childhood Counselor
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, February 14, 2022, 11:45pm
Inspire young children to build a lifelong, meaningful relationship with the natural world as you help them to catch frogs at the pond, climb on fallen logs in the woods or make-believe with mud pies all while playing in the great outdoors.
Job Summary: Join a team of creative, energetic professionals who work together to connect children with nature through educational, recreational, and cultural experiences. Chippewa Nature Center is in search of a Nature Day Camp Counselor to champion early childhood programs. Work alongside full-time Nature Preschool Teachers in the nationally known LEED Gold Certified Margaret Ann (Ranny) Riecker Nature Preschool Center, as well as the Visitor Center, 1870s Homestead Farm, and Nature Study Building. Early Childhood Counselors will teach campers ages 3 to 9 years, including children with special needs. The campers will attend camp for a session lasting a half-day, 9:30 am-12 pm, or full-day, 9:30 am-3:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
Objective: To develop and implement programming of predetermined camps to support and strengthen campers’ relationships with the natural world.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise campers, ensuring their safety and well-being
- Plan and teach daily lessons following the goals and objectives for each program
- Follow and enforce all camp policies, rules and regulations
- Provide first aid to campers according to camp policy
- Communicate with families regarding camper needs, safety concerns, dietary considerations and camp highlights/experiences
- Supervise and evaluate Counselors-in-Training who are assigned to your group
- Mentor Junior Counselors who are assigned to your group
- Communicate regularly with the Leadership Team
- Participate in pre-camp and on-going trainings
- Other duties as assigned by the Camp Director or Assistant Director
- Experience working with young children
- Experience and desire to work in an outdoor setting
- First aid and CPR certifications (or ability to become certified)
- 18 years of age or older by the beginning of the first camp session
- Physically able to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to work varied hours, including some evenings
- Preference will be given to those who have earned or are working toward a degree in early childhood education, child development, environmental education or other related fields
- Knowledge of local natural resources (ecology, identification of birds, plants, etc.)
Schedule: Paid staff training: May 31-June 7 and July 6-8. Camp sessions run June 8 through August 12, with no camp July 4-5.
Salary & Benefits: Starting salary is $440 per week (11 weeks; $4,840 total) with additional stipends for overnight camps ($60/night in the field), staff uniform, CNC membership, 20% discount in Nature Center Store, 10% discount on program fees
Status: Full time, seasonal
Application Procedure: Send cover letter and resume to Steve Frisbee, Camp Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or 400 S Badour Road, Midland, MI 48640
Application Deadline: February 14, 2022 (Interviews will be held by invitation February 26, 2022)
Overview: CNC is a nonprofit, environmental education organization. Its mission is to connect all people to nature through educational, recreational and cultural experiences. The 1,200-acre property includes woodlands, fields, ponds and rivers. CNC’s facilities consist of a Visitor Center with Ecosystem Gallery, classrooms and Nature Center store; an 1870s Homestead Farm complex; Nature Preschool; an arboretum and over 19 miles of nature trails. See www.chippewanaturecenter.org for more information.
Equal Opportunity Employment: CNC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or job applicants on the basis of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, height, weight, handicap or disability, veteran status or any other status or condition protected by applicable state or federal laws.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and resume to Steve Frisbee, Camp Director at email@example.com or 400 S Badour Road, Midland, MI 48640