Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Nature Immersion Mentor & Primitive Skills Leader
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, August 31, 2020, 5:00pm
Work Week (May vary based on the classes scheduled for):
- Monday-Thursday, hours vary based on each mentor’s schedule.
- Min number of weekly hours: 6.5
- Max number of weekly hours: 24
All mentors receive $23/hr
All programs are entirely outdoors and explore various nature destinations in the local mountains, canyons, and beaches of the following locations. Mentors will generally remain in one area based on where they live.
- Santa Clarita Valley
Ideal candidates will have:
- Training, certifications, and experience in early childhood development and education
- Experience with outdoor/nature-based mentoring
- Knowledge of local flora and fauna
- Familiarity and/or experience with place-based education, Jon Young's 8 Shield's Institution and Connecting Children to Nature course, ecological literacy, project-based learning, and child-led learning
- Experience with ancestral and primitive skills.
- Physically fit, able to crouch, dig, climb, hike, and carry up to 40lbs
- Have reliable transportation (public transit is not near all of our locations)
- A working cell phone
- Ability to pass criminal records check
- CPR and Pediatric First Aid Certified
- Experience with Google Drive (sheets & docs)
- A Facebook account (to post photos of our days with the children in our private FB groups).
Qualifications- Candidates must have most of the following attributes:
- Experience working with children ages 4-13 years of age
- Comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Comfortable sitting on the ground, swimming in the ocean and creeks and getting dirty
- Comfortable handling insects and other small creatures
- Interested in further growth in naturalist studies and mentoring
- A nurturing, loving, creative and positive attitude
- Dedicated to developmentally appropriate practice and aware of the developmental needs of young children
- A strong team member
We value mentors who enjoy being positive role models for children, who lead by example with the Earth in mind, and who have a strong desire to engage children with their environment through a hands-on approach. EverWild is a nonprofit operating at a grassroots level.
Creative, forward-thinking, and motivated individuals will find opportunities to grow and expand their role as they contribute to fulfill our mission and grow our organization.
When and where paid:
The pay period is two weeks in length every 1st and 15th for the duration of 10 months (September 8th - June 1st). Pay is issued by check or electronic funds transfer.
Mentorship at EverWild includes:
Each mentor receives paid trainings and a Red Cross CPR/First Aid certification paid for by EverWild. All current employment opportunities are considered part-time.
All considered applicants will go through an interview process including:
-A schedule over the phone/Zoom interview.
-1-3 unpaid shadow days in nature with children and our Program Director
-Live Scan Fingerprinting
-Annual trainings in EverWild policies and procedures, ancestral and primitive skills, and wilderness awareness core routines, alongside all EverWild mentors.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are actively prioritizing employment opportunities for qualified BIPOC and LGBTQIA+.
Position Start Date:
Tuesday, September 1, 2020
How to Apply:
To apply, please email all documents in the application packet to Amanda Caloia at firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Completed packet includes:
A single-page cover letter telling your story and why you would feel you’re a good fit for the mentorship position at EverWild. This cover letter is accepted in the body of an email to Amanda.
Current Resume must be attached to your email
All mentors receive $23/hr and may work up to 24hrs/week based on when the schedule provided by the Executive Director.
Benefits are not included in these positions.