Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Outdoor Educator, San Juan Islands
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, December 1, 2017, 5:00pm
Imagine being a part of one of the most respected non-profit organizations in the world - while at the same time improving the overall health and vitality of our community. For more than 135 years the YMCA of Greater Seattle has been transforming lives, encouraging healthy lifestyles and developing future leaders. Enabling people of all ages to achieve their potential and instilling that spirit in others - is at the core of everything we do. We have an immediate job opening for a qualified candidate whose values align with our organization: Respect, Responsibility, Honesty, and Caring.
Provide outdoor environmental education, challenge education programs and weekend recreation programs for participants attending YMCA Camp Orkila on beautiful Orcas Island.
- Act as part of the total camp staff team to provide a quality outdoor education program to school groups and weekend family camps.
- Actively contribute to the camp staff team by communicating ideas and concerns openly, by making solution-oriented suggestions, by exhibiting a service-minded attitude, by being an appropriate role model, and by participating in staff meetings.
- Prepare and teach classes in Environmental Education, Challenge Education, Outdoor Living Skills, and or Science-based classes daily as assigned.
- Assist with ongoing training and program development by contributing to staff workshops, critiquing and revising existing curriculum, and developing new curriculum.
- Facilitate activities (crafts, archery, row boating, large group games, campfires, etc.) during the daily Open Recreation period and Evening Activity period as assigned.
- Plan and facilitate program orientation meetings for school groups.
- Cooperate with Program Directors to provide activities for weekend groups.
- Model and enforce all camp policies. Model a positive, service-minded attitude.
- Be consistently on time for all meals, classes, and other activities.
- Attend and participate in weekly staff meetings.
- Ensure that all camp resource materials and equipment are kept orderly, safe, and well-maintained.
- Ensure high standards of housekeeping in all cabins, facilities, staff housing, program areas, bathrooms and main lodge. Monitor and re-stock housekeeping supplies as needed.
- Perform physical tasks involving lifting up to 50 pounds, bending, stooping, and other such movements. Activities may include, but are not limited to: belaying, climbing, moving luggage, shoveling, cleaning and walking long distances.
- Have previous experience working with youth
- Strong communication and leadership skills.
- Current Red Cross First Aid and CPR certifications.
How to Apply:
To apply, visit:
Learn more about employment at Orkila by reading this: