Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Overnight Program Instructor
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
The EcoTarium, A Museum of Science & Nature, seeks a creative and enthusiastic Program Instructor to assist in delivering interpretative programs for Night Journeys (overnight programs). Programming is on a variety of physical and natural science topics. Duties include the facilitation of workshop activities as well as interpretation of museum exhibits, digital planetarium shows, live animals, and the outdoors on a 55-acre site. Teaching is primarily through hands-on and inquiry based methods encouraging exploration and self-directed learning.
Candidates must enjoy working with families and children, and possess a keen interest in science and a commitment to furthering their own education in the field. Participation is required for three evenings of paid training to become familiar with workplace policies, science and nature content, program materials, and teaching skills for various audiences. Separate paid animal handling training with Wildlife staff is also required.
- Background in physical science, astronomy, biology, education or related fields
- At least eighteen years of age and completed one year of college
- Demonstrated previous experience in formal, informal, inquiry-based and/or experiential learning desirable
- Comfort with performance and/or public speaking, a flair for public presentation
- Ability to prepare for and deliver programs to large and small groups
- Dedication to professional improvement with regards to the performance of their duties
- Knowledge of good customer service principles and excellent interpersonal, organizational and leadership skills
- Ability to multi-task and manage time efficiently
- Creative individual with ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Candidate should enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, be flexible and highly dependable
- Interest in and/or experience working with diverse audiences
- Able to navigate the building and grounds under any weather conditions, stay stationary for long periods of time, work in a highly sensory and stimulating work environment due to constant interaction with guests; able to move program equipment and supplies up to 40 lbs desirable
- Pass CORI and SORI background checks according to EcoTarium’s guidelines
- Work as part of a team to provide an exceptional visitor experience and deliver museum quality educational programming through formal and informal contacts
- Use inquiry based and participatory teaching methods to lead hands-on programming for overnights and to stimulate learning about a variety of science and nature topics
- Conduct outdoor programming and navigate trails in all types of weather conditions
- Take initiative in problem solving, leading programs, and fostering effective interactions between guests and staff
- Act as host to our guests, consistently showing patience, respect, and courtesy
- Maintain a positive attitude and engender a sense of fun for guests where appropriate
- Prepare, set-up, put away, and maintain program materials including field gear, technical equipment and other supplies
- Assist with the set-up and clean up of all overnight activities
- Tidy museum spaces and exhibits before, during, and after overnights
- Confirm arrival of food supplies and set up evening snack and continental breakfast in a timely fashion
- Report any issues with programming, guests, wildlife, or exhibits to Overnight Coordinator and participate in the 5:15 meetings and evening staff debriefs
- Prepare for and actively participate in staff training and meetings
- Handle animals for use in programs
- Uniform/dress code required
Other duties as assigned
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter, resume and list of three references to: Human Resources, Attn: Overnight Program Instructor Search, EcoTarium, 222 Harrington Way, Worcester, MA 01604 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Overnight Program Instructor Search” in the subject line.
Review begins September 26, 2016, applications accepted until position is filled.