Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Residential Crew Leaders for Youth Conservation Corps (YCC) programs
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, July 7, 2017, 5:45pm
Term: 8 weeks
DATES ARE ESTIMATES
Wisconsin position: July 10-September 1
- $600-660 stipend per week, depending on experience
- Housing and food provided on-site
- Hands-on training and learning experience
- Travel to and from site
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise Crew Members on a full time basis 7 days/week for the length of the program (typically 18 days) and provide emotionally and physically safe environment in accordance with MobilizeGreen's Field Operations Standards
- Work with young people to manage medications and all medical/first aid aspects of the crew, along with the required documentation.
- Assist Forest Service Staff with Environmental Education lessons during the day and some evenings
- Organize and lead recreation and environmental education trips on weekends and after work during the week
Service Project Advisor
- Train and supervise Crew Members in safe and proper use of tools and all aspects of the service project (may include trail construction, maintenance, wildlife habitat work, site restoration, etc.)
- Facilitate worksite and project, tool and equipment logistics, tool maintenance, and work schedule in partnership with Site Staff.
- Manage relationship with agency partners (including on-site Forest Staff) including coordinating all logistical and operational work and how it relates to the partner, project, and the crew.
- Manage administrative aspects of the crew including but not limited to required pre- and post-program paperwork, daily medical and work logs, incident reports, equipment inventories, and evaluations.
- Communicate with full time MobilizeGreen and Forest Service field staff as required and as needed to report incidents & near misses, complete mid-program check-ins and final program evaluations.
- Other duties as assigned
Requirements During Term of Service:
- Uphold and act in accordance with MobilizeGreen's Field Operations Standards
- Communicate effectively with MobilizeGreen staff, parents, agency partners, and co-leader during pre-program responsibilities.
- Complete all necessary paperwork prior to students arriving on site.
- Participate fully in Crew Leader Orientation (new and returning leaders) and Safety Trainings.
- Maintain positive relationship with agency partners.
- Provide emotionally and physically safe environment for members.
- Complete a mid-program check-in with MobilizeGreen staff (when possible).
- Maintain a positive, professional relationship with co-leader.
- Complete all necessary post-program paperwork, including a phone evaluation with MobilizeGreen Staff.
- Must be at least 21 years old by June 1, 2017.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Must be able to perform manual and physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and lift and/or move 40 pounds or more when required.
- Must pass a criminal background check and motor vehicle report.
- Current Wilderness First Aid, Wilderness Advanced First Aid, Wilderness First Responder, and/or Wilderness EMT certification may be required. (Opportunities to obtain such trainings may be provided.)
- Youth/Young Adult Programming- Documented experience working with youth or young adults (ages 14-18) as a teacher, mentor, leader, counselor or coach.
- Teaching / Leadership- Experience working in an informal or formal educational environment. Demonstrated ability to organize and effectively teach lessons, motivate teenage and/or young adult students, provide and accept constructive feedback and communicate effectively.
- Outdoor Education / Skills- Experience / familiarity with outdoor living skills, including: hiking, safety awareness, LNT, camping, cooking, basic map/compass skills, etc.
- Conservation Project Skills- Experience in service project management, service learning, conservation, or trail/conservation projects and hand tool use. May also include experience with carpentry, landscaping, gardening, etc.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This is physically demanding work. The work conditions are challenging and require the ability to handle strenuous work conditions, such as steep terrain, as well as environmental conditions, including rain and extreme heat. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Crew Leaders will be expected to stand, walk, and carry gear for up to 8 hours per day while keeping morale up among members.
How to Apply:
Please go to YCC Crew Leader application