Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
River Guide Internship
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, February 23, 2018, 5:00pm
This position is under the guidance of the St. Croix River Association with support from the National Park Service, providing the intern with practical work experience in community engagement and educational outreach.
The intern will work with mentors to create opportunities for park visitors to understand the significance of the Riverway and its resources. This intern will:
- Present thematic naturalist interpretive programs to diverse audiences on and off the river;
- Lead kayak trips and stewardship activities;
- Assist with special events, education and outreach activities as necessary; and
- Perform interpretive and orientation services in informal settings and on the river while kayaking.
Benefits - Choose one option:
- Food and expense allowance
- Free housing provided for duration of internship, if requested
- Up to $1200 for college credits/tuition is provided to the school in which the student is enrolled
- Hourly wage dependent on experience and other needs
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- College student or recent graduate with coursework in natural, physical or cultural sciences; environmental and outdoor education; resource interpretation; natural or cultural resource management; outdoor recreation; or communication.
- General knowledge of the National Park Service or St. Croix National Scenic Riverway is helpful.
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team, be detail-oriented and organized, and to follow oral and written directions.
- Good oral and written communication skills, as well as basic computer familiarity.
- Valid state driver's license is required, as is experienced with canoeing and kayaking.Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds, and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to provide information and safety messages to the public and Riverway visitors.
Work Site and Conditions
- The intern will be based in St. Croix Falls, WI with a physical desk at the SCRA office in St. Croix Falls.
- Work in the field is required and will involve physical activity, including walking, standing for long periods of time, and paddling a kayak or canoe at a variety of Riverway locations, in all weather conditions.
- An internship from May 14 to August 17 is preferred; however, the length of the internship is negotiable.
- Weekend work and some evening work are required, with a typical schedule being Tuesday through Saturday.
How to Apply:
Send all of the following information:
- Cover letter. State the internship you are applying for and why are you interested in the internship and working with the St. Croix River Association.
- A detailed resume, including work experience.
- Three references.
St. Croix River Association
Applications will be reviewed & considered as they are received, so apply soon!