Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
School and Community Forest Crew Member/Leader
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Saturday, December 31, 2016, 4:45pm
AmeriCorps Youth Outdoors School and Community Forest Members and Leaders will participate in on-the-job training to learn natural resource management and forestry skills, and put those skills into practice completing work at School Forest and Community Forest sites in Minnesota. Community Forest projects involve working with project partners to complete tree plantings in 12 communities across Minnesota, mainly during the spring and fall. School Forest projects involve working with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources and other project partners to complete site renovation and training at designated School Forest sites across the state. The crew will use natural resource and forestry management techniques to improve outdoor classroom sites and provide training to site stewards, facility managers, teachers and community partners. The crew will also engage students at school forest sites by providing environment education and leading the students in service-learning projects.
- AmeriCorps service position (ages 18-25)
- Location: Saint Paul, MN
- Term dates:
Crew Leader: February 1 – December 15, 2017
Crew Member: February 16 – December 15, 2017
- Schedule: Full-time, at least 40 hours per week. Schedules vary and include after-school and weekend shifts.
- Stipend: Crew Leader $1690/mo; Crew Member $1355/mo
- Education award: $5775 upon successful completion of term
QUALIFICATIONS: Crew Member
- Ability to work hard in an outdoor setting in adverse conditions for a minimum of 40 hrs/week.
- Desire to foster strong work habits, environmental ethics, youth leadership and team unity.
- Ability to present to groups in an outdoor setting
- Desire to work with youth development and natural resource management; 15-20% of the service term is dedicated to technical and personal-skill training
- Positive attitude, interest in service and community work and desire to make a difference.
QUALIFICATIONS: Crew Leader (in addition to above Crew Member qualifications):
- Prior leadership experience with peers.
- Experience coordinating project tasks and logistics.
- Experience and/or education in natural resource management, environmental education, youth development or outdoor recreation.
- 18-25 years old.
- Flexible schedule to accommodate week-long out of town assignments and emergency response.
- Full term of service must be completed in order to receive the education award.
- Crew Leaders Only: Valid driver’s license and safe driving record (no major moving violations or DUI’s in the past five years).
- Learn valuable job and leadership skills applicable to any career
- Earn an AmeriCorps education award for school expenses or to pay off qualified student loans
- Learn about current environmental issues and network with natural resource professionals
- Get field experience and gain natural resource management skills
For more details and a complete list of qualifications and requirements, please visit our application page.