Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Senior Director, Roots & Shoots USA
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Reporting to the Executive Director of the Jane Goodall Institute USA, the Senior Director of Roots & Shoots is responsible for all aspects of Roots & Shoots USA and its support of Africa Programs. This includes all management, growth, impact, and optics of the program. The Senior Director supervises and evaluates R&S direct reports; establishes goals and priorities; supports national and regional fundraising efforts; represents the USA on the Roots & Shoots Global Committee, participates in an international community of JGI and Roots & Shoots leaders; is supportive of global initiatives; and responds to Office of the Founder inquiries. As the lead program officer for Roots & Shoots, this position liaises with the following JGI teams: Communications & Policy, Conservation Science, Development, Africa Programs, Finance, and Human Resources. Additionally, the Senior Director creates the annual program budget and manages it throughout the fiscal year, oversees all published materials of the program, and identifies new initiatives and partnership opportunities that increase the reach and impact of Roots & Shoots USA.
The Senior Director has a deep knowledge of informal education and will possess a mission mindset centered on educating young people as planetary stewards. The candidate also possesses a network of contacts across the USA, is an excellent communicator, has strategic thinking ability, is an effective program leader with excellent staff management, project management, and financial management skills. As an experienced educational program leader, the candidate has developed and edited program content and overseen editorial projects. The candidate also has demonstrated experience in negotiating contract terms and working with corporate partners and contractors.
Additionally, the Senior Director will have:
- Deep knowledge of the USA K-12 education landscape, including formal and informal education providers, project-based learning, and experience-based education.
- Significant understanding of the options that educators, parents, and other “gatekeepers” possess when considering informal education opportunities for youth.
- Experience in educational content production as a creator and with oversight of the editorial process.
- Excellent project management, including organizational skills, multi-tasking, and the ability to prioritize competing projects.
- Ability to develop, articulate, and execute a broad vision for the program.
- Strategic and creative thinking.
- Success scaling programs for maximum benefit, leveraging partnerships, volunteers, and program alumni.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across organizational units.
- Ability to set impact and reach goals, articulate goals internally, and prepare reports on program performance for senior leadership, the board, donors, and the founder.
- Ability to use financial data to support strategic decision-making and use financial indicators to modify program operations when necessary.
- Proficiency with major software programs and demonstrated experience with digital technologies in education settings.
Additional Characteristics and Attributes:
- An unwavering belief in the power of young people to make a positive difference in their lives, their communities, and the world.
- Willingness to seek feedback, adapt practices, and continuously learn and evolve as a leader.
- A sense of humor and ability to find joy in challenging work.
- Commitment to collaboration and the core Roots & Shoots mantra: “together we can, together we will!”
- A love of animals.
- Commitment and daily demonstration of Jane and the Institutes' fundamental belief that all individuals matter and are empowered to contribute in an inclusive, supportive, and welcoming professional community.