Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Senior Manager of Educational Programs
The deadline for this job has passed and it is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Deadline to Apply:
Friday, November 27, 2020, 11:45pm
The Environmental Law Institute (ELI) is accepting applications to fill the position of Senior Manager of Educational Programs.
ELI is a non-profit organization located in Washington, D.C., is a leading center of environmental research, policy analysis, and training in the United States. Founded at the beginning of the modern environmental era more than five decades ago, ELI has played a pivotal role in the evolution of environmental law. Today, ELI is an internationally-recognized independent research and education organization whose interdisciplinary staff of lawyers and scientists works to develop creative solutions to critical problems in environmental law, policy, and management worldwide. ELI is also a renowned membership organization for environmental professionals, promoting excellence in environmental law through providing the field’s finest publications, intensive legal practice and training courses, regional seminars, and forums on key policy issues.
Given the Covid-19 public health emergency and ELI’s commitment to prioritizing the health and wellness of its employees, this position will initially be teleworking only. However, once ELI resumes a normal in-office staff presence, this position will be based in our Washington, DC office.
The Senior Manager of Educational Programs will help in delivering high quality educational programming as a membership benefit and that serves the interests and needs of ELI’s membership. In this role, the Senior Manager serves generally as an ambassador for the Institute.
The Senior Manager, in coordination with the Director of Associates, Education and Corporate Partnerships, along with the Vice President of Development and Membership, will help with recruiting new members of ELI’s various membership programs, maintaining relationships with members, developing and delivering programming for members, and working with ELI staff to strengthen the membership program.
The Senior Manager of Educational Programs will report to the Director of Associates, Education and Corporate Partnerships.
- Help develop and deliver programs for members consistent with ELI’s mission. Associated tasks involve tracking current events and legal policies relevant to environmental law and policy, and developing concepts and write-ups for educational programs, master classes, major conferences, and cosponsored conferences. including, but not limited to:
- ELI Boot Camps (2 per year – one in DC and one on the West Coast)
- ELI’s Summer School Series
- Independent ELI seminars and co-sponsored seminars
- The Corporate and Policy Forums (associated with annual ELI Award Ceremony)
- Networking events
- Facilitate all administrative and logistical aspects of the education events including speaker outreach. Upon resuming normal in-person events (post-Covid), travel may be required.
- Reach out to constituents and represent the Institute publicly as needed to communicate and foster particular programs and projects
- Actively solicits and markets to law firms, corporations, non-governmental organizations, professional firms, and individuals to join ELI's Professional, Corporate, and Public Interest Programs, and maintains close connections with them once they join. This effort is in collaboration with the Vice President, Development and Membership.
- Coordinate with staff, including the Manager of Educational Programs and Research Associates (on an adhoc basis), to deliver high quality programs and review their program descriptions.
Candidates should offer mid-level experience in environmental law practice or related environmental policy fields. A baseline knowledge of environmental statutes and/or experience in environmental, energy, or natural resource law and policy is necessary. Other skills needed but not limited to include:
- Excellent organizational skills including the ability to conduct detailed event planning in such a manner as to continually have programs lined up in advance and balance numerous events at varying stages of planning simultaneously
- Superb attention to detail and ability to reliably adhere to deadlines
- Strong communication skills including writing, social media, and verbal communication including public speaking
- Proficiency with standard office software, including Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated ability to:
- represent ELI publicly in a manner consistent with our mission and values
- manage events and projects effectively and efficiently while producing high quality deliverables
- collaborate effectively with others
- effectively manage multiple projects/events and establish priorities with moderate supervision
- confidentially and professionally communicate and interact with experts in the environmental field
Compensation and Benefits:
$48,000 annual salary, with excellent benefits including:
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Employer-paid life insurance & disability insurance
- Long Term Care insurance
- Pre-tax transportation benefit
- Fitness Incentive
- 403(b) Retirement Savings Account with employer match
- Paid time off
How to Apply:
Application Process and Deadlines:
Interested candidates can apply online through ELI’s application portal by visiting https://www.eli.org/employment. Applications must include the following:
- Cover letter addressing your personal goals and interests, as well as your experience and interest in carrying out the duties outlined above.
- 1 page writing sample – short and concise on a topic of your choosing
- List of References
- Applications must be submitted no later Friday, November 27, 2020 and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. You must use ELI’s online application system; ELI cannot accept applications submitted by email, USPS or other shipping service, or hand delivery. No phone calls, please.
ELI is an equal opportunity employer firmly committed to achieving an inclusive, diverse workforce that values every individual. We firmly believe that hiring individuals with varying perspectives and backgrounds contributes to our success as an organization, and we strive to create an environment that fosters inclusiveness. As such, minority candidates and candidates from traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.