Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Teen Adventure Coordinator
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
Reports To: Youth & Family Director Competency Level: Team Leader Effective Date: May, 2016
Under the supervision of the Youth & Family Director, the Teen Adventure Coordinator will be responsible for leading and coordinating teen adventure activities, such as whitewater rafting, surfing, hiking, biking, and theme park activities. Responsibilities will include living with campers in tents and hostels when off-site, coordinating with partner organizations, managing staff, monitoring activity and equipment safety, problem-solving any issues that arise during trips, and general supervision of staff and campers.
- Minimumage: 21 years old.
- Experience working with youth.
- Proficient swimmer and bicycler.
- Experience cooking and camping in the outdoors.
- Excellent judgement and decision-making skills.
- Ability to work with people from a variety of ages, ethnic groups and backgrounds.
- Ability to supervise front-line staff.
- Ability to be respectful and professional at all times.
- Willingness to learn conflict mediation skills, first aid techniques, and other skills.
- Background/Fingerprint Clearance.
- Ability to obtain Lifeguard, First Aid, and CPR certification.
- Current W-EMT, WFR, or WFA certification preferred.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
You must have the physical, visual, and auditory ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations.
Position may require physical flexibility, sitting, bending, and standing, leaning and kneeling on an occasional basis. Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds in order to perform essential functions.
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Fingerprints will be taken upon commencement of employment and will be submitted to the Association Office human resources department prior to beginning the first day of work. Employees may be rechecked every two years.
YMCA TEAM LEADER COMPETENCIES
Mission Advancement: Model and teach the Y values. Ensure a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provide volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivate relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champion inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Build relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listen and communicate for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailor communications to the appropriate audience. Provide staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provide others with frameworks for making decisions. Conduct prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develop plans and manage best practices through engagement of team. Hold self and other staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Share new insights. Facilitate change; model adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilize non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Have the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; use best practices and demonstrate up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Uphold YMCA policies for safety, supervision ,mandated reporting and risk management.
- Demonstrate the Character Counts values of caring, respect, honesty and responsibility in all dealings with members, guests, volunteers and fellow staff.
- Demonstrate competencies in and willingness to develop in the Cause Driven Leadership areas of mission advancement, collaboration, operational effectiveness and personal growth.
- Assist in delivering the highest quality of customer service.
- Assist in recruitment and retain program participants for enrichment activities.
- Ensure that the needs of all program participants are met.
- Ensure the safety of members through adherence to branch and department emergency and safety protocols and procedures.
- Build respectful and meaningful relationships with other staff, parents, program participants, donors, and volunteers. Strive to model Y values through positive relationships with staff and program participants.
- Maintain professional image through dress, nametag, actions and relationships with others.
- Strive to enrich the program participants’ experience by helping them to connect with one another and to the YMCA.
- Maintain program sites and equipment in good working order.
- Assure that the program staff receive the necessary training to operate program sites. 14. Maintain archive of completed Daily Program Safety Inspections.
- Compose the weekly camp schedule and daily program staff schedule.
- Communicate with user groups to arrange their use of program sites.
- Encourage respect for personal property, camp equipment, facilities, and the environment.
- Maintain and submit accurate reports (incident, health logs, time cards, etc.) in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all applicable YMCA, ACA, local, State, and Federal standards are maintained.
- All other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
Position Start Date:
Monday, June 20, 2016
How to Apply:
Dates of Employment: June 20th- August 11th, 2016
*Ideally able to attend Lifeguard Training June 6th-10th as well
Submit a current resume, cover letter, and 4 references (3 professional and 1 personal to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, but we are hoping to fill this position quickly.
Salary $380/week + room and board