Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Woodland Wonders Forest School Volunteer
This job has expired and is not visible on the eePRO Jobs page.
REPORTS TO Teacher | WORK HOURS 9:30 am-12:30 pm
SCHOOL YEAR Sep. 2019-May 2020 | LOCATION Sanborn Park
SCHEDULE part-time, 20 hours per week | WORK DAYS Monday-Friday with options Monday, Wednesday, Friday or Tuesday &Thursday
Woodland Wonders is seeking a forest school class volunteer to help guide our outdoor preschool in Sanborn County Park. At Woodland Wonders, we strive to inspire children to deeply connect with themselves and one another, providing them with tools they need to be independent, wholesome, and empathetic citizen of the world. Our school offers an alternative early childhood education model that provides children with a play-based learning environment in an outdoor setting. Our goal is to remove physical classroom walls and encourage children to explore, build practical, creative, and social skills while expressing their interests, needs and passions. Learn more about us here.
Join Woodland Wonders Forest School staff in supporting the development and growth of this new program. Gain valuable experience in early childhood development as well as nature-based education, while working with a lead teacher to create and lead fun, age appropriate, educational activities. This position will assist with leading activities, preparing materials, and supervising children ages 2.5-5 to provide a safe, enjoyable and educational experience.
Volunteers will benefit from this opportunity in the following ways:
- Experience with early childhood behavior, and physical, emotional and social development
- Opportunity to further develop skills in teaching and engaging children outdoors
- Experience teaching and developing nature-based curriculum that will enhance the volunteer’s resume.
- Receive support from staff such as access to resources like experts and professionals in the field, curriculum guides, and reference books, and one-on-one time with the lead teacher to reflect on experience, seek feedback and discuss projects/curriculum
Summary of Duties (to include, but not limited to):
- Assists and works with a lead teacher to lead educational activities and develop preschool curriculum. There will be opportunities to self-initiate curriculum development and implementation.
- Assists in leading a variety of educational activities including games, hikes, plant and animal identification and crafts.
- Assists in ensuring the safety of, engaging with and playing with up to 10 children with 3 staff members
- Assist in preparing educational materials and equipment
- Assist in maintaining accurate records of incidents and participant behavior issues
- Follows and enforces child safety and security policies as set by Woodland Wonders Forest School
- Records hours in the “Volunteer Book”
- Performs other duties as requested
- Current First Aid and CPR recommended, but not required
- Possession of a high school diploma or equivalent
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn, Bay Area flora and fauna
- Interest and/or experience in early childhood education or other experiences working with 2.5-5 year olds
- Ability to work comfortably, tactfully, courteously, and effectively with children, Woodland Wonders staff, parents and volunteers.
- Ability to comfortably hike up to 1 mile on any given day in varied and uneven terrain in natural areas
- Ability to be outside in all weather and model appropriate behavior regarding clothing for the weather and attitude (i.e. wear boots, rain pants and rain coat when it’s raining, and exhibit a positive attitude about the weather).
- Each volunteer is expected to be timely and available to attend his/her scheduled shift. If you cannot attend your scheduled shift due to an emergency please contact your supervisor.
- Attend all required trainings
- Be able to successfully pass a background check
Hours, Dates & Commitment
A full commitment to the Tuesday/Thursday class or the Monday/Wednesday/Friday class for the full preschool academic year (Sept. 3 – May 29).
Start Date: September 3rd, 2019
Time commitment –
- 6-8 hours/week: Tuesday/Thursday from 9:30am-12:30pm
- 9-12 hours/week: Monday/Wednesday/Friday from 9:30am-12:30pm
- 15-20 hours/week: Monday-Friday from 9:30am-12:30pm
This is a volunteer position.
How to Apply:
Send a resume and a cover letter to: Katerina Novello & Yana Sebe, Woodland Wonders Forest School Founders, email@example.com. Hiring process is rolling, and we are looking to conduct interviews immediately. This position requires successful reference, health clearance, and background checks. The Woodland Wonders Forest School is an equal opportunity employer.