Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Sea Turtle Ecology & Conservation (Field, Yucatan Peninsula)
Date and Time:
Sunday, July 10, 2022, 9:00am to Friday, July 15, 2022, 6:00pm
Sunday, June 19, 2022, 11:59pm
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This is a 4-day field trip where students will practice nesting protocols and techniques at a key nesting beach in the Yucatán Peninsula. Students will actively participate in a long-term monitoring program by obtaining data and managing databases. Prior to arriving in the Yucatán Peninsula, students will attend the Sea Turtle Biology and Conservation online course to prepare them for their visit.
PREREQUISITES: Our Sea Turtle Biology & Conservation (ONLINE) course is recommended.
FORMAT: Students will spend four days in the field aiding in a current conservation program. Students will apply the concepts learned during the online course, working up to 10 hours each day.
- Introduction to the field site
- Sea turtle nesting monitoring
- Field logistics
- Night patrolling
- Data collection on females and nests
- Nest cleanup
- Data entering and database management
- Data analysis - female average size, hatching and emergence success
CLASS CAP: 10
LOCATION: Yucatán Peninsula, Mexico
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDIT: This course has been approved for continuing education by (1) the Ecological Society of America for 4 CEUs in Category I(a): Professional Education and Training, and (2) The Wildlife Society for 24 CEUs in Category I of the Certified Wildlife Biologist® Renewal/Professional Development Certificate Program.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS FOR ESA CERTIFICATION: This course is approved by the Ecological Society of America for 2 semester hours of qualified coursework that can be used to meet the minimum education requirements in in biological science (ecology).
How to Register:
To register or to learn more, please visit our registration page.
- Early bird course fee (ends June 5): $2100 Professional / $1900 Student
- Regular course fee (after June 5): $2300 Professional / $2000 Student
- Prices include lodging, transportation to the field site, and most meals ($1100)