Promoting Professional Development and Best Practice in EE
Arizona State University, Food Tank, and University of Hawaii Present: "The Wisdom of Indigenous Foodways."
Date and Time:
Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 4:00pm
About this Event
Traditional indigenous knowledge is not front and center in most conversations on food system transformation and this needs to be rectified. That is why we are so excited to announce the next Food Tank Summit on ‘The Wisdom of Indigenous Foodways’ to be held January 22, 2020 at Arizona State University.
The Summit is a collaboration between Food Tank, the Swette Center for Sustainable Food Systems at Arizona State University and the Sustainable Community Food Systems Program at the University of Hawai’i, West O’ahu.
Confirmed Speakers Include:
- Maenette Benham, Chancellor, University of Hawai’i at West O'ahu
- Paula Daniels, Co-Founder, Center for Good Food Purchasing, and Founder, Los Angeles Food Policy Council
- Kamuela Enos, Director of Social Enterprise, MA'O Organic Farms
- Cindy Farlee, Student, ASU Food Policy and Sustainability Leadership
- Mariah Gladstone, Founder, Indigikitchen
- Janie Simms Hipp, President & CEO, Native American Agriculture Fund
- Chelsey Luger, Journalist, from the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa and Standing Rock Sioux Tribe in North Dakota.
- Kathleen Merrigan, Executive Director, Swette Center for Sustainable Food Systems
- Albie Miles, Assistant Professor of Sustainable Community Food Systems, University of Hawai'i at West O'ahu
- Karli Moore, Student, ASU Food Policy and Sustainability Leadership
- Andi Murphy, Journalist, Las Cruses Sun and Civil Eats.
- Melissa Nelson, Professor of American Indian Studies, San Francisco State University
- Danielle Nierenberg, President, Food Tank
The Summit will feature native voices and, over the course of two hours, speakers will delve into a wide range of issues from biodiversity, to wildfoods, landrace property rights, and more all while sharing inspiring models of strength and innovation within indigenous communities. Reception to follow (included).
Arizona State University SkySong, Synergy Rooms I and II
1365 N Scottsdale Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85257
Contact the organizer to request a refund. Eventbrite's fee is nonrefundable.
How to apply/register: